Home Experts Experts Free Quotes Coupons Special Offers Articles Forums Blogs Join Us

hand titleNeed an Answer or Expert Advice? Ask Savism Experts. Questions, Answers, Consulting & Training.

Attend Virtual Expos every
Thursday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (PST).
Virtual Expo

Savism University Articles


Mason Baxter: Euro Banks to Al...

Sapporo International: Bank of...

Building Dreams, One Home at a Time
Real Estate

How to Protect your Car
Personal Finance

Ways to Save for Your Child’s ...
Education Planning

Berlin Company Revolutionizes ...
Real Estate

+ Add New Article / View All Articles

Does your employer offer
free educational seminars?

Learn at Lunch
Learn at Lunch!

Select a Category

Tax Planning

Personal Finance

Home Loans


Real Estate

Financial Planning




Credit Repair


Retirement Planning

Estate Planning

Financial Advisor

Credit Card Processing

Other Categories

Most Active Experts

  Art Of Saving (109)
  Tax Advisors (88)
  Bogie Boric (47)
  NCR Credit Plus (31)
  File Your Taxes Online (30)
  Mark Goldman (29)
  DRuthven (23)
  Jim Kaz (21)
  Steven Leibold, EA (19)
  James Cruz (18)
  Pacific Business Capital Corporation (18)
  Thomas J. Hartfield (16)
  Alan D. Fisher (16)
  Sally K. Hanson (12)
  Goran Jovanovic (12)
  Matthew Barrett (12)
  Brian Gibbons (11)
Other Active Experts
Savism Experts Directory

Best Reviewed Experts

  Tax Advisors (5.00)
  Bogie Boric (5.00)
  Mark Goldman (5.00)
  Gina L. Gwozdz (5.00)
Alejandro 1/7/2013 08:36
I am doing freelancing for two different companies and I have several questions. I deliver for them digital files, such as research, PowerPoints or excel files. Do I need to add sales tax to the invoices? When and how do I file taxes? I have never worked before in California and just started working in October last year.
Answer This Question
3 Answers
Recent | Top Voted
By: Linard Williams on 1/7/2013 18:21 Comment
You do not need to charge you client sales tax, it does not look like your a retailer. You are an online business that is providing a service, however, your fiscal stationary building is viewed as you are working in another state, so you will not be required to charge sales tax to your California client.

Your company will be responsible for filing a tax return for the sales produced in California at the end of the year. Your company will need to file with The Franchise Tax Board.

Now, depending if your a sole proprietorship, your company will need to file a Schedule C, but if you have a corporation you will need to file other forms with the schedule K, depending on your structure.

I hope this information helps.
Was this helpful? 0 0
By: Kurt E Giebel on 1/7/2013 15:54 Comment
Your professional services are not taxable in California for sales taxes but your income is subject to income tax for both California and federal income taxes. You will report your income to both governmental bodies at the end of every tax year and you will deduct any expenses related to those services to arrive at a pretax income amount upon which you will be subject to income taxes.
Was this helpful? 0 0
By: Marilyn K Ratliff, EA on 1/7/2013 15:23 Comment
Hello Alejandro

This question is very complicated and the best way to get an answer is to contact the Board of Equalization. My website has the links for the BOE so go to BTIProfessional.com.

Ask them the question and if for some reason, there is a problem, you can reply that you got the info from them and they should stand behind their answer. The answer below is for the income tax not the sales tax. CA likes to tax everything and there are a lot of special rules for sales tax.

In addition to the federal tax you will need to file a CA return for the money earned in CA.
Was this helpful? 0 0
Resources / Become Our Partner
banner banner banner banner banner banner banner
Ask Experts
Savism University
Special Offers
Become a Member
Request Free Quotes
Links - Add Link
Privacy Policy
Business Directory
Blog Directory
Video Directory
National Savings Day
Learn at Lunch
rssfeed RSS Headlines

Add Your Business
Become an Expert
Participate in Discussions
Post New Article
Create a Coupon
Ask a Question
Contact Us
About Us
Site Map
Connect on Twitter
2018 Art Of Saving
Savism, National Savings Day & United We Save are registered trademarks.